Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Boner's Business



In the fall of 1778, after being released from prison, Boner desired a new business venture. His mass shoe production company, while profitable, wasn't satisfying to Boner the Businessman. And so, just before Christmas of that same year, Boner opened Boner's Negro & General Supply Store.

Marketing posters of a sadly-shrugging Boner in blackface and wrapped in chains posed to his potential customers the question: "Won't you bring home a Negro for your grandfather? I got nowhere else to go. And I got my own broom."

Sales skyrocketed. Boner literally laughed as he rung up hundreds of Negroes a week ($5 per man, $3 per woman and child).

Boner reasoned his success was based on pure logistics:

"Why break my own back, sir? Or you yours? Why plow the fields and scrub the cow's utters when these heathens can be forced to do it? I'd rather sit in my rocking chair and ask God if I've made him proud this day. Me thinks I have!"

On New Year's Eve of 1778, Boner was so pleased with his booming business that he sold a bundle pack of one Negro and two bags of dried corn husks for $7. Citizens were ecstatic. Boner laughed again.

"$5 a Negro! More than fair, I say! And the Bible finds this justifiable! Oh, where does it say that? I believe somewhere in the back."

Oh, Boner.

No comments:

Post a Comment